Sunday, April 13, 2014

While I do know that I ultimately want to fly, in what capacity, I'm not entirely sure. I do like the idea of Corporate Aviation, but I am not dead set on that.  The idea of flying for an Air Ambulance company--such as Survival Flight--also appeals to me.  However I have not discounted the airlines.  What route I take will be largely determined by the opportunities that are presented to me.  Because of that, narrowing down on a problem within the industry I am most interested in is a taxing task.  There is, however, one aspect that applies to all pilots, no matter the realm, and that is the over-realized on cockpit automation. Not glass cockpits per se, but the use of planes flying themselves, and pilots losing hype it skills levels on how to fly a plane.

Flight Safety Foundation's CEO, Bill Voss, comments of this matter. “We keep trying to pretend this snuck up on us but it had all the stealth of a freight train,” said Voss. “Now we’ve had that event [the A330 accident], we have to have a serious conversation about stick-and-rudder skills, and we do see progress at airlines–notably Emirates Airline, which has inserted two days of manual simulator flying into its pilots’ recurrency training." As Voss stated, a lot of airlines are taking measures to try and prevent this. They are basic skills that pilots learn--the basic contorls of an airplane--and piltos are allowing themselves to become complacent in these matters. This shows that some of the basic skills are being lost at a more advanced level.

Since I do have a strong interest in Corporate aviation, I can draw attention to another basic skill that is a problem in corporate aviation.  "One of business aviation’s most glaring challenges is runway excursions, which have accounted for a growing number of accidents and incidents in recent years. “Business aviation is not doing well on runway excursions,” he said, “but they’re a major issue for all operations.”

We, as pilots need to take a certain responsibility to keep our skills up.  While the implementation of increased training management can provide are steps in the right direction, there is a sort of professionalism upheld for such a highly qualified job and it is up to pilots to not become over-reliant on the plane to fly itself.  To review airport dirhams before taxiing onto a taxiway. These are basic skills we learn and it seems in this day and age, as a generation who grew up on on computers and cruise control enter the aviation field, pilots need ot break this mentality, and take up the responsibility. The responsibility that ultimately lands with the pilot, not the computers.  

3 comments:

  1. I agree - concern about the maintaining pilot basic skills in this world of advancing automation is a big one. It will be interesting to evaluate this over the next decade. From what I see and hear, the definition of "basic skills" is shifting in a way that puts those who are not skilled at automation at a disadvantage. I've told the story of the Airbus pilots that I know who chose not to switch airlines because of their fear of flying a less automated aircraft...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your choice of air ambulance... that is a very interesting career and I bet you would never get tired of such a field. I think that it is important to choose a career that interests you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all the automation we have today, it probably does get tough to maintain basic flight skills. I know of a few pilots who fly for corporate outfits that will just hand fly every now and then to both maintain their stick and rudder skills, and because they get bored on the long legs.

    ReplyDelete